ODLUM'S MILL (1)
For generations of Portlaoise people, Odlum’s Mill in Church Avenue was one of the town’s most prominent
industries. The story began in 1865 when William Odlum inherited the flour mill - powered by the River
Triogue - from his uncle William Kelly. William Odlum also acquired Green Mill, the surviving legacy of
which is the name of its location- Green Mill Lane, off the Mountmellick Road. William's sons,
William Perry (W.P.) and Richard followed him into the business. Hence the initials above.
The Green Mill eventually closed down, but the one in Church Avenue was modernised and prospered
until it was destroyed by fire in November 1909. Within two years, it was rebuilt and continued to be
water-powered until it was eventually connected to the ESB mains supply.
Thanks to Terry McEvoy in Sydney for this picture. That's his grandfather, Peter, at the extreme right of the third row.
SS Peter and Paul's Catholic Church (long demolished). Note the millrace.
Looking from the Ridge Road
Thanks to Mary Phelan for these two pictures.